In my day job, I’m a school librarian, but in addition to running this website, I also write books. I’m currently writing a book that will show you how to design your own doll clothes patterns, just like I do.
When I first started this blog, I intended to build a platform for publishing my books. However, this website has grown to be so much more!
People online have asked me, “Why do you give away your doll clothes patterns? Why not sell them instead?”
I have two reasons for this.
First, when I die and meet my maker (hopefully quite some time from now), I want to leave behind a significant legacy: an online free-access library of doll clothes patterns to fit dolls of many shapes and sizes, and knowledge of how to sew doll clothes that will inspire creativity in others for many generations to come.
Second, the ads on this website help me raise a little money to keep the website running, but these funds are also used for education-related charitable causes. I use 90% of the funds from this website to buy fabric, snaps, dolls, and photography equipment; the other 10% of my funds go to education-related funding projects.
In 2018, ChellyWood.com earned over $700.00 from its ads. I donated over $100 of our profits to purchasing books for the school library where I work. I also bought fabric for and sewed new aprons for the lunch staff at our school.
In 2017, I earned over $500 from ads on ChellyWood.com. I donated $50 to the Victoria Foundation of Phoenix for college scholarships to needy students.
In 2016, I earned $250 from ads, and that year I donated a new-used keyboard to a school music program.
I’d like to thank all of my followers for helping me spread the word about ChellyWood.com on social media, so that a.) I can continue to offer free patterns and b.) I can continue this charitable work.
Originally (in 2014), I started this website to create a platform for the books I write, by sharing my personal journey as a doll clothing designer and seamstress, but I think this site has grown, over the years, to become something more than that.
I love working as a school librarian, and in my library, I see how people benefit from all the educational tools that are available through the internet (including not just books, but online resources too). More than anything, I want to make a positive difference in the world.
Sharing my passion and talent for sewing is one great way to do that. Writing books that inspire people to sew and design their own patterns is another. Helping to fund educational programs is yet another.
Do I need to sell my patterns? Not really. My job as a librarian is enough for me. It brings me joy to connect people to learning tools. Yes, I do hope to become a published writer, and I do hope my books will sell. But more importantly, I want to contribute to a world-wide learning community. God willing, I will always find a good cause (preferably an education-related one) with which to share my financial and intellectual blessings.
And that’s why I give my doll clothes patterns away for free.