This week I’m focusing on vintage Tammy dolls (made by the Ideal Toy Corporation). This was the original fashion doll, back when the idea of a “fashion doll” was still pretty new.
The image above shows my Tammy doll and the Chelly doll holding up a vintage Simplicity pattern for sewing a wardrobe to fit Tammy dolls. This pattern (not this exact one, but one identical to it) was the first doll clothes pattern I ever owned, and I used it to make each of the doll clothes shown on the front of the pattern.
I didn’t actually own a Tammy doll at the time, so I was pleased to discover that my pattern fit other dolls too!
So how tall is vintage Tammy, and can your fashion doll wear her doll clothes?
Here are Tammy’s measurements for sewing purposes:
- Neck circumference… 6.5 cm
- Neck to shoulder seam… 2.5 cm
- Collar to true waist… 5.1 cm
- Underarm to true waist… 2.9 cm
- Sleeve inseam (underarm to cuff)… 6.5 cm
- Sleeve from shoulder seam to cuff… 7.7 cm
- Sleeve circumference (upper arm bicep)… 4.8 cm
- Bust… 13.5 cm
- Waist… 9.7 cm
- Hip circumference… 14 cm
- Pants inseam (crotch to just below the ankle bone)… 13.0 cm
- Pants outseam (waist to just below the ankle bone)… 17.2 cm
- Pants leg circumference (upper thigh)… 8.8 cm
- Height not including hair… 11.5 inches or 29.2 cm
So who can swap clothes with Ideal’s Tammy dolls? Well…
If you’d like to know whether or not your fashion doll can wear this week’s Tammy doll clothes, please leave a question in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer it — as long as I can verify by trying Tammy’s clothes on the doll. In other words, it needs to be a doll I already own.
But even if I don’t own the fashion doll you’re asking about, perhaps another of our followers might own it and he or she could answer the question… possibly.